Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 January 2018

A Question of Body

Image result for different physiques runnerImage result for different physiques yogaImage result for different physiques weight lifter




Above there are photos of different types of physiques that are the result of different exercise regimes. 

I am, as you know, in the midst of a change in my life. I’ve spent seven years in tertiary studies, proven beyond doubt I’m more than just bright. Now I’m pursuing physical goals with the same discipline as I’ve pursued my intellectual goals.

So I’m doing a lot of physical activity. This week alone I’ve climbed for 8 hours, done about 500 lifts of weights (I never lift anything more than 12 kg, I’m about tone, not bulk),  better than an hour of Yoga, cycled for 20 km and played an hour of tennis with my very fit seven year old son. I haven’t managed all that much time on my rowing machine due to wanting to increase my Yoga & Pilates. I’m exercising most days.

With this amount of effort being put in the question has to be asked: What is it I want from the exercise?

 On the understanding that you are engaged or about to engage in a fitness regime this is a question you must ask yourself. Apart from the abundant and quite empirical material that exercise is good for you, why are you doing it? Answering this question will make achieving your goals easier.

My answer to this question is: I want a Yoga bod. My goal isn’t to bulk up. Selina isn’t a fan of the people that Clive James so aptly described as looking like stockings stuffed with walnuts. I’m not a fan of buying either a shitload of expensive and dangerous supplements or a new wardrobe. I want lots of long lean muscles. A Yoga Bod will support my climbing. The aerobic fitness from my tennis, cycling and rowing will get my waist under control. The visceral fat that is keeping my waist over 100 cm…and is slowly killing me has to go. In order to get that vigorous old age I want, the belly has to go and all my exercise supports that.

I expect, not unreasonably, that a very toned me will result in more sex. We make no attempt to hide our extracurricular activities…and the better I look…. I want to be a Disgusting Old Fuck. My version won’t be taking drugs, smoking or drinking heavily. My version will be climbing, cycling, rowing and being a Yogi into my 80’s. 

So I very clearly know what I want from my exercise regime….do you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment